Summer is just around the corner. If you’re a homeowner, you know what that means? Yes, the dreaded triple digit utility bills due to increased air conditioning usage. While desert dwellers will always pay more in the summer thanks to our hot summer weather, there are some simple energy-saving cooling tips that can help you save electricity and money. Simply the Best Heating & Cooling offers you the following tips to keep cooler and save money during the hot summer months in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Install a Programmable Thermostat. This is one of the best cost-saving strategies. Set it to around 78 depending on your comfort level for the hours you’re typically home. When you’re gone, you can set it to 85 degrees. Take advantage of Simply the Best Heating & Cooling’s special offer right now to save even more.
- Close the Drapes or Blinds on the Sunny Side of Your Home. Yes, this seems simple, but many homeowners overlook this easy strategy for keeping their homes cool.
- Seal Up Air Leaks. Caulking gaps around windows can reduce cool air from escaping. It’s also worth checking all places within your home where utilities are coming in such as plumbing, electricity, and dryer vents. All of these locations can be sealed to help keep cool air inside and hot air outside.
- Use Your Fans. Using ceiling fans with your air conditioning system can help circulate cool air and can actually allow you to raise the temperature setting of your thermostat by up to five degrees. This can be a tremendous savings over time!
- Close Off Rooms That Are Not Being Used. You don’t have to cool your entire home. If you have empty rooms that aren’t being used, close the cooling ducts to these rooms and shut the doors.
- Don’t Obstruct Vents. In rooms that you want cool, make sure vents are not obstructed by furniture or draperies.
- Turn Off Lights and Home Office Equipment When Not in Use. Lights, computers, and other home office equipment produce heat which, in turn, makes your air conditioning system work harder.
- Get a Tune Up. If your air conditioning system hasn’t been tuned up in a while, schedule an appointment now. Regular maintenance is the best way to ensure it is working efficiently.